Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mohican recap

What a difference from last year's Mohican.  This year dry, hot and humid, with absolutely no rain.
I was somewhat concerned about the heat, and it did become a factor. (more later)

I cruised up to the start line with Lyndsay (yes, Lyndsay from Stouffville) and Ian (DMBA), just as they were calling out the 100 mile wave - great way to start, warmed up and already rolling. We hit the hill out of town...how to describe this, just think a long, long paved road climb, with 200 other riders all jockeying for position.  Nice.  A left and we are onto the dirt roads, past the pig farms, then another left and decending rough single track - *&^($@ have I mentioned that I LOVE this race!  Settled into a good pace with 6 or 7 other riders - after a while, maybe an hour I started to admit to myself that perhaps the pace was not sustainable over 10 hours, and man is it getting hot and humid in the forest.
The single track...ahhh, so nice - we got glimpses of it last year, but it was too wet.  This year conditions were perfect. 20 miles of single track, switchbacks winding around a mountain - so cool.  Cruised through the first aid station, felt good.  Coming into the second aid station at mile 34, I felt strong.  I was struck by how different I felt at this spot last year - at that time I was cold, exhausted, and those first 34 miles had taken 5 hours. Today it was about 3hr45min for the same.
Around noon it started to get warm, I mean hot, real hot.  The tempurature topped out at 34c, but I am sure on those dusty roads and rail trails it was much hotter.  The 15 miles of rail trail wasn't bad - I really was able to keep up a good clip of 18 -21kph on my 32x19 SS.  The dirt roads with the rolling hills were a killer in the heat though - I know at one point I started thinking, half seriously, I could just lay down in the shade until say 4pm when it cools off.
I kept going
at some point - must have been around 75 miles, I started over heating, I had hosed myself down at the aid stations, was taking electrolyte tablets (and advil) drinking lots - but I was shivering, alot.  Just could not cool down.  Even in the forest, it was so hot and humid, I tried walking for a bit, but just kept sweating and shivering.  The descents were a relief - air cooling.  Well at some point - hmmm, maybe 85 miles in I vomited, yes I was bloated no liquids seemed to be making there way into my system.  So a lot of liquids came up (I had been drinking heed all day, and no I don't think heed was the problem, just the heat, and my system had started to shut down).  After that I felt much much better, took in some water and felt stronger.
One of the advantages of having done this race before, is that you have an idea of where the end is, and what is coming next.  With about 7 miles left, I decided to kick it up, to give it everything I had.  I did not want to get passed by anyone before the end of the race.  Funny things go through your head during these races -- let me finish, I want a beer, and at the same time, the competitiveness.  I mentioned at the beginning of this note that I had settled into a good pace with  6 or 7 other guys, well all in all I would say there were about that many, maybe 10 guys that I kept seeing during the race, they would pass me, I would pass them, one might be coming into an aid station as I was leaving etc.  Well I didn't want to get passed by any of these guys - and one was coming up behind me fast, so, in my "own little race"  (but it feels so important at the point), I hammered and dropped him. Feeling good, I exited out of the final single track, motivated and giving it all into the final few climbs, where I caught two more riders (walking up a hill).  On to the finish line, ice cold water wating for me - have a sip, poor the rest down my back, and fill that beautiful glass with cold beer!
Nice. Loved it

The Prize.


More beer later, good times with good friends (new and old).  Sleep.
Going back to the states this weekend to do another 100 mile race.
 

1 comment: