Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Stowe!

It says so much.  It is a town, it is a way of life, it congers up images of butternut squash soup and skiing.
We are staying smack in the center of town at the oh so Vermont, Green Mountain Inn Nice.  I don't know if it gets any more "Vermont" than this place.
I really like this town, and the whole state of Vermont.  I have wanted to get back here for a long time, since first driving up Smugglers Notch and thinking what a great ride this would be.  So  here we are.  Heather went off to do some of the things that interest her (photography and shopping) while I headed out to do a 90k countryside loop, not climbing the notch from Stowe, but doing a counterclockwise loop, and descending from the notch into Stowe.
Beautiful ride - rollers, beautiful countryside, rivers, mountains...



The ride seemed really really easy for the first part - I guessed I was mostly descending.  I now realize that I also had a tailwind.  The only downside to doing the ride in this direction is, after completing 60 easy k, you have a 1700 foot climb into the wind.

Ha! I was feeling tired.  But this is the reason that I came here...beautiful roads.

Finish it all off with a long trail ale and dinner at Harrisons and a stroll in the rain.


Tomorrow?  Do it all again in the other direction with my k-town buds...Fil & John - who just got into town! Yee Haw!

Garmin details here.

1 comment:

  1. Dude you don't have to go all the way to Stowe for roads like that...just come to my 'hood :)

    ReplyDelete